Google Website Translator Gadget

Powered by Blogger.

5/06/2012

Crime Fighters I - Criminal Minds

Oh, my. Before I do anything, I have to state that this show is one of my all time favorites. I do believe that it brought something new and unique into the genre with its focus on giving insight into the minds of serial killers instead of concentrating on the crimes themselves.

An elite squad of FBI profilers analyzes the country's most-twisted criminal minds, anticipating the perpetrators' next moves before they can strike again. Each member of the "mind hunter" team brings his or her expertise to the table to pinpoint predators' motivations and identify emotional triggers in order to stop them.  Tv.MSN.com

Criminal Minds is a police procedural television program which is produce by the Mark Gordon Company, an associate of CBS Television Studios and ABC Studios. The show had first aired on September 21, 2005 on CBS and due to its popularity and huge fan base, they even created a spin-off from it, titled as Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior. Though the spin-off was canceled only after thirteen episodes as it failed to live up to expectations, the original series is still very much on air and has been renewed for an eighth season.

The profilers in Criminal Minds are based on real  profilers, as the creators of the show often consult  with  the FBI's Behavior Analysis Unit. Their purpose  is to create an accurate profile which helps the local  law enforcement in catching serial offenders after  dissecting the crimes and the crime scenes, looking  through the victimology, and analyzing the criminal's  MO (modus operandi) .

Every person has his/her own fingerprint; similarly  every serial killer has its distinct signature, which, for  these trained agents, is as important as the fingerprint  itself - they can even distinguish between serial  offenders and their copycats.

So far, we can establish the Criminal Minds was based on real facts. However, after I finished this first part of my research, I started to wonder about the characters themselves: are they realistic enough to represent real FBI agents. My question was: could these seven people realistically represent profilers? 

While I am not a psychologist and I have never taken any course on behavior analysis during my university years, I like to think that I can pinpoint whether a certain character from a book could be placed in real life. For example, even though I loved the Harry Potter series, I think J.K. Rowling failed to see that if a child goes through neglect and abuse from birth then constantly experiences one trauma after another, he would not become a hero just to live his happily ever after. He would turn into an outsider, a recluse, or worse, a psychopath, and more than possibly, a criminal.

However, I truly think that the characters in Criminal Minds are realistic and lifelike. While they remain highly proficient and professional, it is clear that they are humans above all else; therefore, they make mistakes and experience intense emotions associated both with their work and their personal lives. I cannot, but declare that the writers were spot on. It is no wonder I love this show so much.

Finally, I have to mention the one thing I found really unrealistic. And it is of course the horrifyingly high rates of crimes in the US. I thought that the situation must not be as bad as it is depicted in the show - as in if a serial killer set his/her eyes upon you, you are dead no matter what, of course, except if the BAU has your back. However, I am aware, just like anybody else, that the government, the FBI and other departments of the US law enforcement sweep many of the crimes under the rug each year to avoid mass panic and paranoia. Therefore, I conducted my own research and I found this article among the many that speculates on serial killers and the number of possible murders.
Serial killers may be responsible for up to 10 times as many U.S. deaths as previously estimated, according to an analysis by a criminologist at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.
Kenna Quinet, associate professor in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs at IUPUI, makes the case for the higher death figures in an article titled, "The Missing Missing: Toward a Quantification of Serial Murder Victimization in the United States." It was published recently in the journal Homicide Studiesnewswise.com
She also estimates, that  as there is no reliable data on those who live on the peripheries of society, such as prostitutes,  run-aways, and the homeless, there is no real way to know the actual number on how many of them had fallen victims to serial killers. That said, she made an estimate. And the estimate is bad.
Recent academic estimates of the average number of serial killer victims each year range from 67 to 180. Quinet's analysis, based on conservative extrapolations from existing data, would add at least 182 and possibly as many 1,832 victims.
Where I expected to find unrealistic portrayal, I found disconcerting data on uncertain numbers. This post started out as a great fun to me and now I feel that the results of my own research left me breathless with possibilities. Criminal Minds is turning out to be far too real at this point. To me, only one question remains unanswered: how many?

Artigos Relacionados

0 comments:

Post a Comment